Saturday, August 17, 2013

Impacts on Early Emotional Development

  •  
  •  
  • Share with your colleagues the area of the world you chose and why: Latin America and the Carribean: Barbados. I chose this because I'm unfamiliar with this part of the world and I'm interested in knowing more about it; even if it's just a little bit. I also chose Barbados because my husband's family travels there for vacation a lot and they seem to really enjoy it there.
  • Describe in detail some of the challenges that children in this region of the world are confronting: From researching this I found out that a lot of families struggle with poverty here. The abuse of children is a big problem, children with disabilities and sexual diseases are a concern. Crime and drugs are also a big concern in Barbados and so is education. I'm amazed at how many concerns there are for children and families in this part of the world."Child vulnerability caregivers in all three countries were more concerned about education than anything else." (Johnson, 2006)
  • Explain how these experiences might have an effect on children’s emotional wellbeing and development: These types of challenges can and will effect children tremendously. It can effect their mind-set, their behavior, the way they speak/communication, it can effect their self esteem, how they do in school, it can effect their social skills, and change who they are completely. "While not designed to measure the prevalence of child sexual abuse, the study highlighted an alarming picture of a social problem which is perceived to be escalating; has increasingly severe consequences for Caribbean societies; and has multiple layers." (Knight, 2009)
  • Include a personal and professional reflection. Explain the insights you gained and the influences they may have on you as a person and as an early childhood professional: Personally, I think it's a shame that so many children and families have to suffer and live in such a way that effects them a great deal. It's heart-breaking. These types of stories and information inspires me to want to help others as much as I possibly can. It makes me want to be a wonderful and positive role model for my students and support the families anyway I know how. With that being said, I made a donation to the UNICEF website to help children. It always makes me feel great to know I helped and made a difference!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Reference:
  • Johnson, T. (2006). A study of child vulnerability in barbados, st. lucia and st. vincent & the grenadines. UNICEF, 4. Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/barbados/cao_resources_vulnerability.pdf

    Knight, P. (2009). Unicef study unmasks child sexual abuse in eastern caribbean. UNICEF, Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/media_51931.html



     

5 comments:

  1. Stacy,
    My heart also goes out to people who are not as fortunate as we are. I wish there was more I could do to help people in these types of situations. I am a foster parent who takes in teenaged girls. I once had a 15 year old girl who already had a two year old and was pregnant with her second child. This young girl came to me being treated for sexually transmitted disease. Yes, she was taken from her home but for good reason. Also, had a sixteen year old who lived with me who had and STD. Sorry to say but sexual abuse is everywhere and I wish I could be a part of the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy it was interesting to read about the region you selected. I know very little about it, other than what one gets on the news every now and then. Reading your post Stacy and Yolonda's comment, I think we all feel like we are not doing enough. I think this may be true to some extent, but then having been through our studies at Walden has certainly changed our mindset. I believe armed with our new knowledge we can make a difference in the lives of the children we teach everyday. If we can get them thinking, thinking about others, thinking about their choices and the repercussions their choices can have on society, teaching them to problem solve and that their isn't only one solution to a problem, teaching them to work together with others, to accept responsibility, all these social and emotional aspects of psychosocial development then I believe we have made a difference. As these children will grow up and become active members of society and they will have children of their own, and if we have been successful, they will be successful in transferring that knowledge, applying it and taking action within their own family and the wider community and people they encounter on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes- the levels of poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean are alarming with severe consequences. Children are vulnerable and it is heart breaking. Like you I have become inspired to do more to support the parents and families I work with. Thanks for your post.
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, its funny, I chose these same reason for the exact opposite reason as you. I have traveled to both of these regions on several occasions and I was very curious about the motives of the families here. I am however, very curious to learn more about this region from a more statistic approach. I'm pretty sure your husband's family has experienced the children in this region selling items during all times of the night to tourists as a means of income. I was very surprised by some of the data collected from this particular region.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always a pleasure to learn about different areas of the world. I am very sensitive when it comes to children and the deplorable conditions they are faced with. Thanks for sharing the information you have learned with us.

    ReplyDelete